What is Oral Impact?
Oral IMPACT® is a powdered enteral nutritional supplement with omega-3 fatty acids, arginine, RNA and soluble fibre. Oral IMPACT® is a nutritionally complete Food for Special Medical Purposes and for use under medical supervision.
What makes Oral Impact so special?
In clinical trials, patients who received Oral IMPACT® orally for at least 5 days prior to surgery developed significantly fewer post-operative infections than those patients who did not. These patients also spent significantly less time in the hospital than those who did not receive IMPACT® prior to surgery.
It is the only preoperative nutritional intervention that has been proven in clinical trials to significantly reduce the rate of post-operative infections.
What is Oral Impact indicated for?
The oral use of IMPACT® is recommended:
Before surgery for all patients undergoing major-elective GI cancer surgery, head and neck cancer surgery, or cardiovascular surgery
Post-operatively or post-injury for select patients at risk for infection who are able to consume an oral diet
For patients with severe pressure ulcers or other chronic wounds
|Per 74g sachet||Per 100ml|
|(of which saturates||4.6g||1.5g|
|n-3 fatty acids||1.0g||0.3g|
Supportive Clinical Outcome studies with Oral Impact®
1. Braga M, Gianotti L, Vignali A, Di Carlo V. Preoperative Oral Arginine and n-3 Fatty Acid Supplementation Improves the Immunometabolic Host Response and Outcome after Colorectal Resection for Cancer. Surgery. 2002; 132:805-814.
2. Gianotti L, Braga M, Nespoli L, Radaelli G, Beneduce A, Di Carlo V. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Preoperative Oral Supplementation with a Specialized Diet in Patients with Gastrointestinal Cancer. Gastroenterology. 2002; 122:1763-1770.
3. Braga M, Gianotti L, Nespoli L, Radaelli G, Di Carlo V. Nutritional Approach in Malnourished Surgical Patients: A Prospective Randomized Study. Arch Surg.2002; 137:174-180.
4. Tepaske R, Velthuis H, Oudemans-van Straaten HM, Heisterkamp, SH, van Deventer SJ, Ince C, et al. Effect of Preoperative Oral Immune-enhancing Nutritional Supplement on Patients at High Risk of Infection after Cardiac Surgery: A Randomised Placebo-controlled Trial. Lancet. 2001;358:696-701.
5. Braga M et al. Perioperative Immunonutrition in Patients Undergoing Cancer Surgery: Results of a Randomized Double-blind Phase 3 Trial. Arch Surg. 1999;134:428-433.
6. Snyderman CH et al. Reduced Postoperative Infections with an Immune-Enhancing Nutritional Supplement. The Laryngoscope. 1999; 109:915-921.
7. Senkal M et al. Outcome and Cost-effectiveness of Perioperative Enteral Immunonutrition in Patients Undergoing Elective Upper Gastrointestinal Tract Surgery: A Prospective Randomized Study. Arch Surg 1999;134:1309-1316.